School Direct and Initial Teacher Training
School Direct and Initial Teacher Training
ETSA Southgate is a partnership of schools working with Middlesex University to provide high quality teacher training. There are lots of ways to get into teaching but at ETSA Southgate Teaching School Alliance, we offer a School Direct route with Southgate School as the lead school. Our vision is to train and develop the next generation of outstanding teachers for our schools.
We recruit with our partner schools, who are all highly experienced in training teachers.
- Edmonton County http://www.edmontoncounty.co.uk/
- Christ’s College Finchley http://www.christscollegefinchley.org.uk/
- Enfield Grammar http://www.enfieldgrammar.com/
- St Ignatius College http://www.st-ignatius.enfield.sch.uk/
Our School Direct programme includes a Post Graduate Certificate with Masters level credits and Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). The academic qualification is awarded by Middlesex University.
Our School Direct programme is based in school with approximately 25 days release to attend Middlesex University. The school will provide every trainee with a mentor. In addition, the school will provide a training programme. This will be enhanced by attendance at Middlesex University.
So, are you ready to take on the most rewarding, challenging and amazing experience of your life? Are you committed, hard-working, resilient, highly qualified and able to communicate at all levels? If you are, then apply to ETSA Southgate via UCAS and begin the journey towards a professional career in teaching.
Click on the link get into teaching for more information about how to apply. Click on the link get into teaching for more information about how to apply.
What we are looking for:
We are looking for ambitious trainee teachers who are passionate and enthusiastic about teaching and have a desire to share this with young people of all abilities.
This will be demonstrated by meaningful experiences of working with young people. This does not need to be paid work but might be helping with a sports team, drama group or youth club. We would like you to have carried out some observations in a classroom or you may even have worked in a school.
All entrants must have a grade C or above in GCSE English and Mathematics. For graduates intending to train to teach pupils aged 3-11 (Primary), you must also have a grade C or above in GCSE Science.
As a trainee teacher on our programme, we expect candidates to:
- Preferably have a 2:2 or above degree;
- A good level of written and spoken English;
- The capacity to be a valued member of a team;
- Demonstrate an aptitude for teaching;
- Have the desire to approach curriculum planning in a creative and imaginative way;
- Have very high standards for the children and themselves;
- Be committed to inclusion in terms of social class, race and ability;
- Have a genuine interest in educational thinking and debate;
- Have the ability and willingness to continuously reflect, improve and learn from mistakes;
- Have high levels of interpersonal and communication skills;
- Have the ability to sustain optimism, energy and a positive outlook under pressure and challenge;
- Have the capacity for hard work and a sense of humour.
All successful applicants will be subject to a DBS and an Occupational Health check.
What Should I Expect at Interview?
Our interview day is designed to allow applicants to shine; we want to get to know you and to understand your strengths but, more importantly, we want to recognise your potential to become a great teacher. Here’s a sample plan of the interview day:
- Welcome and introductions
- Tour of the school
- Teach part of a lesson. Successful candidates only will proceed to formal interview.
- A written task – literacy based
- Formal interview
There will be a minimum of 3 people shortlisting and interviewing. These are drawn from representatives of Middlesex University and ETSA Southgate partner schools.
Applications for School Direct
We are recruiting for School Direct Salaried and Tuition Fee Trainees in 2018/19 for the following subjects:
- Biology, Chemistry, English, Maths and Physics (Based at Southgate School)
- Computing, Design Technology, English, Geography and Maths (Based at Christ’s College Finchley)
- Biology, Chemistry, English, Geography, Maths, Physics and Primary (Based at Edmonton County)
- Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics (Based at Enfield Grammar)
- Chemistry, Computing, English, Maths and Physics (Based at St Ignatius College)
Please note that no application will be accepted if sent directly to any school. All applications must be made through the UCAS website.
The application window for School Direct via UCAS will open in October 2018; please make sure you keep checking for course availability as there are some subject areas that are very popular. Once you have completed the application process via the UCAS website your application will be forwarded to the individual school to begin the recruitment process with a shortlisting exercise which looks at applicants’ strengths and weaknesses. Please remember that we are considering applicants in the academic year before they begin the course, so an applicant applying in October 2018 will begin their course in September 2019.
You can find our courses via UCAS (click here) - search using our name lead school name, Southgate School or provider code 2CX.
Bursaries & Funding
Bursaries are available to School Direct trainees via the National College for Teaching and Leadership. Funding varies according to your degree classification and the subject that you are training to teach. To find out if you are eligible for funding please refer to the NCTL guidelines: https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/funding-and-salary/overview
If you have any queries regarding the School Direct programme or wish to arrange a visit to one of the schools please contact John Johnson-Proctor - ETSA Southgate Administrator:
Telephone: 0208 449 9583
Interested in meeting the ETSA Southgate Team
We will be attending the following teacher training recruitment events. Why not pop down and see us:
- Thursday 30th November - 5-7pm @ The Compton School
Need to gain school experience to support your application?
Please click here to see our free School Experience Programme delivered within our Teaching School Alliance.