STUDENT LEADERSHIP AT SOUTHGATE SCHOOL IS AN IMPORTANT ASPECT OF ENGAGING OUR STUDENTS AS DECISION MAKERS AND YOUNG PEOPLE WHO UNDERSTAND DEMOCRATIC VALUES.
Each year students have the opportunity to apply for and run for election to our Student Leadership Team, at which they represent their House and their year group.
We expect our Student Leadership Team to embody the core values of the school and they are expected to:
- Have attendance of over 96%
- Take part in extra-curricular activities
- Be able to speak and present in front of an audience
- Be able to share ideas with staff and students
- Have an excellent behaviour record and model behaviour to students across the school
- Actively promote the Southgate School core principal of Excellence for All
Five nominees from each House are selected from the applicants to stand for election to the team; they are encouraged to canvas and campaign for a place across Years 7 – 11, filming a campaign video and presenting at assemblies.
Please click on the links below to view the election campaign videos for the five candidates from each of the four Houses.
EARTH: Earth house videos.pptx
The election process then culminates in a day of voting – the numbers of students turning out to vote is excellent which clearly shows that our students are interested in the democratic process and actively engage with important issues around the school.
The elected Student Leadership Team then meet throughout the year with the Enrichment Co-ordinator and the Lead Head of House to discuss and action issues that are raised by the wider school community.
Last year, these included:
- Catering in the canteen
- The Positive Behaviour Policy
- The Home Learning Policy
- Environmental issues
- Recycling across the school
- The planning of student led assemblies
- Rewards and charity fundraisers
It is vitally important that students at Southgate School have a voice, a say in the work of their school, the values and ethos that makes Southgate School what it is.